Sunday 1 January 2017

ALVAR THE KINGMAKER by Annie Whitehead

To launch Discovering Diamonds 
a few reviews for novels written by our main reviewers or admins:

Amazon UK £2.30 / £9.99
Amazon US $2.99 / £15.75
Amazon CA $ n/a / $20.54 

This title was shortlisted for the January Book of the Month

Biographical Fiction
Anglo-Saxon / 10th Century 
England
'Alvar the Kingmaker is a tale of politics, intrigue, deceit and murder set in tenth-century England. Nobleman Alvar knows that securing the throne for the young and worthy King Edgar will brand him as an oath-breaker. As a fighting man, he is indispensable to the new sovereign, but his success and power gain him deadly, murderous enemies amongst those who seek favour, and who point the finger of suspicion when Edgar’s brother, the previous king, dies in mysterious circumstances.'


I thoroughly enjoyed Ms Whitehead's first novel, To Be A Queen, so I was eagerly looking forward to her second novel of Saxon England, and to my delight I was not disappointed! The characters travel through the pages with realism, excitement, readability and entertainment. The pace does not falter,
the plot sweeps you along and the story itself is superbly aided by the meticulous research that the author undertakes. You can almost use this novel as a textbook with additional imagined bits.

What is especially delightful is reading a novel set in a little-known period of history. Alfred the Great, Bede - indeed the most famous Saxon date, 1066, is known to most readers interested in early English history, but what a refreshing change to read about (and learn about!) these different people in a slightly different to the norm time.

Ms Whitehead is one very talented writer, and here's hoping there are many more novels by her to come.

©Anne Holt

< previous ... next >

9 comments:

  1. Oooh, this sounds like one for my TBR list. I'm keen on this era as well as the twelfth century, and I've already read and enjoyed one of Annie's books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fabulous read Loretta - Annie knows her stuff!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Loretta (and Helen!) - I hope you enjoy it :)

      Delete
  2. A much neglected time period. At least, that's how I've always seen it. Saxon England, before the Conquest, has always been riveting time for me. I'm looking forward to reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're going to be busy my friend - the To Be Read Pile is somewhat swelling! :-)

      Delete
    2. I agree that it is a much-neglected period - something I'm slowly trying to rectify. I do hope you enjoy it :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds good. Another two to add, yes I have to catch up with the first one. Tbr pile grows

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps we could run a competition for the tallest TBR pile! LOL

      Delete
    2. Whilst being mindful of health and safety issues, I am all in favour of precarious TBR piles, so I do hope that if Alvar makes it there, you will enjoy his story :)

      Delete

We do not accept comments. If you need to contact Discovering Diamonds go to the CONTACT facility

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.