Wednesday 8 March 2017

The Axe, the Shield and the Triton, by James M. Hockey


Amazon UK £5.99 £7.95
Amazon US $7.52  $12.95

Adventure
462 AD / 1685  
England
Tales of Bowdyn #1

As soon as I read the first sentence of The Axe the Shield and the Triton, `When I was a child I loved the hill, for I knew nothing then of its blood-drenched soil. It was my playground and my playfellow,' I knew I would like the writing. Style, to me, is as important as the story itself. I like being led gently, not dropped, into the action. This one begins in 1685 AD, during the Monmouth Rebellion in England. Immediately, you felt the stench of poverty, the desperation of a family, and I hoped for the boy and his kin to meet better times.

The escape from their daily grind comes via Master Bowdyn Galan's tales of faraway places. Through them, we are swept back to AD 462, to the old Germania and Creodoa, the Hun's tale. The chapters switch back and forth between the two stories; while enjoying one, I became eager to know what would happen in the other, and so kept turning the pages in anticipation. I was not disappointed with either.

This is not fiction for the impatient. It is a book for people who enjoy reading. And while it is indeed fiction, I was sneaky enough to Google a few items and found the facts are, indeed, factual. This is a cut diamond of a story, with perfect facets.

© Inge H. Borg

< previous   next >

No comments:

Post a Comment

We do not accept comments. If you need to contact Discovering Diamonds go to the CONTACT facility

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.